Preparing your home to sell
This is a lengthy topic, depending on the condition of the house for sale and how far is the seller willing to go to better show the property. The main advise I give to my clients is do not engage in conversation with the buyer’s agent or the buyer themselves, if they have any questions they need to contact us the listing agent, that is why we are here for, and also because sometimes sellers tend to give more information than they should and many times it could end hurting them from having the upper hand when negotiating the best price for their home for sale in Las Vegas. If possible leave the house while there is a showing.
Before placing the house on the market:
- Start de-cluttering, you are planning to move anyways start putting away the excess furniture as well as all personal and family pictures, the more potential buyers visualize themselves, their furniture and pictures in the house the faster they will fall in love with it.
- Free up space in closets and pantries, the less things you have in them the bigger they will appear.
- Deep clean your house and carpets, wash windows and get rid of those grease spots in the driveway and garage.
- Put away your jewelry and valuables in general.
- A fresh coat of paint throughout can get rid of smells and brighten up the rooms, if you are watching your budget you can always touch up were needed and or get rid of any bright accent walls. You won’t believe how neutral colors could change the whole vibe of a house and will be more appealing to potential buyers and broaden your audience.
- Start putting away the beautiful chandelier that you want to keep to avoid the buyers from making it a condition of the sale.
- Get a handyman and patch any holes in walls, fix any bathrooms and kitchen leaks, tighten any loose hinges, door or cabinet knobs, replace any missing bulbs, re-caulk showers, bath tub and/or sink where need it do not give them any reason to find a negotiation excuse.
- Clean up, weed out and fertilize your lawn to bring the color back and make it as green as possible, maintain the yard regularly, lay some fresh mulch on flower beds and plant some seasonal flowers to bring some color and freshness to it. Rake dead leaves if any and trim bushes and trees where needed.
- If you have desert landscaping as many of us have here in Las Vegas, make sure all gravel and rocks are even and in place throughout.
- Make sure to clean up, make beds and pick and dust after yourself, light some candles to welcome buyers with a warm smell.
- Leave windows and interior doors open during the day and turn all lights inside and out to highlight all areas of your house.
- Leave dogs locked up.
“Image 1 courtesy of [debspoons] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net”
“Image 2 courtesy of [renjith krishnan] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net"
“Image 3 courtesy of [varandah] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net"